Thursday, September 08, 2005

I’ve made a decision. After getting quotes from numerous mills around the region (as well as from other states) for the custom shiplap siding, I’d decided to venture down the wood workers path. I’ll build up a basement shop and mill the siding myself. The shiplap siding was only the first in many molding and trims I’d have to replace on the house. The exterior crown moldings (3 different styles) and trims (4 styles) need replacing, along with all the window casements. Did I also mention the interior is devoid of any window, door or stairs trim as well? I also wanted to put up a box or a frame type of molding as well.

Last week I started combing the free section of Craig's List; a great resource for the avid pack-rat. One can find free lumber, free tools, almost anything free. The problem is that one usually has to be the 'first caller'. I was lucky on a Friday morning. I picked up a Delta 50-850 dust collector (which only need a new hose, $5), a Delta 34-444 table saw, devoid of motor and 60 dry 2x4x12s that came from a botched remodel, that had some nails. I'll buy a new (or used) motor for it soon. There is also a tools section as well. I'm just about out the door on my way to look at a French machine that has 7 different power tools in one, driven by one motor; switch the belt around to run the other tools (joiner, planer, shaper, band saw, table saw, sander and ?). I think he wants $375 for it...

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

This is a great idea and I encourage you to try. I came very close to doing a decent wood shop and making all my own reproduction trim. I do have a good assortment of tools and am able to make simple things with the table saw and router table. The big stumbling block was the shaper. The cheapest one I could find was $850 and then a quote of $400 for each set of custom knives. There is a real nice one for about $2500.00. I think it is William & Hussey.

At the time I figured I only needed short runs of things, so it was tough to justify the cost. That has mostly been true, but at this point I think it may have been a wash. I think I spent as much paying a mill as I would have spent paying for the equipment. I was trying to match existing profiles. If you are starting from scratch on the inside you can buy off-the-shelf knives with profiles and that will save a lot of money on cutting knives. I can give you more info if you want.

7:07 PM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Hi there! I want to invite you to join the House Blogs Forums. We're trying to get as many of those in the houseblogs ring as possible to join. Hope to see you there!

http://houseblogsforums.net/forums/

11:06 AM, September 09, 2005  
Blogger Urban Queen Anne said...

Hello Greg,

That would be great if you could post up some info on shaper knives and anything else you've learned.

I did find a very good quality shaper for $465 on Amazon.com. Its called a Grizzly. All cast iron and zero plasitics. They have a good reputation among the amature woodworkers...

12:38 PM, September 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home