Saturday, September 10, 2005

Toys! Gotta love 'em!

A few nights ago, I responded to an ad on craig's list tools section:
Kity K5, French made multipurpose woodworking machine and #695 very powerful shop vacuum/ dust collector that attaches to the K5. The K5 was intended to compete with Shopsmith. It has a table saw, planer, jointer, shaper and slot mortising attachment and has numerous accessories and instruction manuals.
I was soon on my way to a garage that sits upon a hill, over looking Portage Bay and the famous Sleepless In Seattle floating house. B was selling the K5 and dust collector (see pics below) that his wife bought when she was learning woodworking. She had made one table about 5 years ago, and hadn't used it since. The machine looked almost new. The motor's hum on the K5 was so quite, one could hear whispers. And with only a few spots of surface rust on the chuch (the tables are made of some rust inhibiting alloy), I was sold. I talked him down $380, and he threw in 500' of 1x2's of alderwood left over from a project.

I rented a van this morning to haul my new toys back home ($33). I had to disassemble and reassumble each of the tables to get them down to the basement shop (the machine weights over 200 pounds). I ran a few scraps though, and they cut like butter. Toys! Gotta love 'em!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home