Friday, September 16, 2005

Safety and security. People don't realize they need it too until its too late to do something about it. I knew I needed a security system and monitoring service. I started the due diligence asking for a full install with the largest, ADT. The ADT installation bid consist of 100% batteried wireless door and window contacts (they won't do wired) at $2200 and monitoring at $34 a month. HomeGuard where roughly equilivant. Brinks would do a wired system, but only a few hundred less. I finally went with a local security firm who monitors banks and highrises in the region, who would work with my own installation and wiring. They would do the final inspection for $59 and monitoring at $19 a month.

I chose the ELK M1 security system for the house. The base unit's cost ($300) is a little bit more than the Ademco, GE Concord or V15P systems, but the features of the ELK blows away those other systems. Along with security monitoring and with proper sensors, it can detect the water content of the soil in your yard and turn on the sprinkler system if needed, or automate your home (with PC) and control every electrical device in your house by voice recognition (via RF, X-10, et al). Every geek should have one! Had to order it via mail order, since WA has a strange law about selling security systems to non licensed installers (regardless if they are home owners).

I thought I'd hire a company who specialized in alarm wiring installations for commercial businesses, thinking they would be reliable. Pro-comm is their name. It was a simple job: wire 3 doors, and 10 windows (I would do the rest of the windows myself, since they are at basement level). They could make holes in the walls and window sils if required. It took them 4 hours to do 2 doors and 2 windows. They also showed up at a day and time when they weren't scheduled, and I had to race over from work to let them in, and old me (when they arrived) they couldn't finish because they had an emergency to attend to 4 hours from then. They said they would come back next week. It took them two weeks to come out again, while I was at work. I didn't bother to race from work this time. They appologized, saying they would call to setup an apointment. Guess what, they called 5 weeks later!

I have since picked up a 3 foot flex drill bit ($23) and fish pole ($10), and completed the wiring on my own... Contractors, can't even trust the commercial kind.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, This is awesome! Clarifies
a few misnomers I've been hearing.

11:11 AM, February 19, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, This is great! Clears up
many misnomers I've read

11:11 AM, February 19, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home