Friday, August 18, 2006

"May you live in interesting times." - Chinese Proverb

It’s been awhile since posting, due to some life changes: a loss of two jobs, a girlfriend and the first half of the summer spent. I was laid off from Universal Avionics, joined Microsoft for a month but quit after getting an offer at Honeywell.

I was determined to get a jump start on the out side projects, notably the exterior siding. So on Wednesday I went down to Berg Scaffolding on Alki Beach to get a quote. I needed 6 sets of 3' x 6' frames and a 20' aluminum plank, previously used, to which they wanted $2100. I was apprehensive about putting down so much for scaffolding.

But Craig's List came through once again. I was looking for scaffolding on the list for a few months, with little success until last night. Someone was selling 13, 3 ' x 6.5' frames, 17, 5 ' x 6.5' frames, 24 planks, braces and a handful of jacks for $750 (delivered); Much more than I really needed, but it was the whole lot or nothing. After talking with him, he said would drop to $400 if I can get it out of his yard that very night, with no delivery. I rented a truck and drove down to Dash Point. His place was on top of the hill just on the point, over looking the Sound and Vashon Island; a very expensive view.

He helped me load, spending an hour and a half loading, and another two hours unloading. These things are heavy and its best to pick them up on a balancing point.

I’m missing the 20’ plank, but I can get do without until I get to that section of the house, hoping for another Craig's breakthrough. I'll start assembly this weekend. Photos of the scaffolding below:


3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Wow! That is a great deal. Congrats.

3:27 PM, August 18, 2006  
Blogger Derek said...

yeah probably cheaper than renting, and you can sell it when you're done.

3:54 PM, August 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very lucky. I just brought the one I rented back to Home Depot. I had 4 5x5 frames, a 10 ft. scaffhold and it cost me $120 for the month. I'm sure it will be well used.

8:46 AM, August 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home