Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Primer

Last night I started priming the front entrance alcove and the stair hall way with Killz2 Latex Primer, tinted with a light green. It comes out of the can very thick, but goes on very light, always like a watercolor. But I'm thinking I put it on a bit too light, spreading it too thin. And then I forgot to use a 1/2" Nap to produce that ubiquitous clam-shell texture on the walls (atleased those platch places that where sanded smooth). I've only used 1/3rd of a gallon so far, while the can indicates it should cover 300 square feet. So, atleased another coat or two. And at $10 a gallon...

For the past two months, I've gone though close to two gallons of 'patch' spackle. Patching various dents, dings, gouges and other deformities throughout the house, preparing for the job of priming. The walls have been just sucking up the primer and leaving a very nice matted texture for better paint adhesion. I didn't bother washing the walls with TSP, since Killz2 will suck up any dirt that might exist on the walls. I've used wire mesh to patch about the power outlets and switches, which where cut a bit too large to the box.

I'll wait until I've starting hanging the crown moldings, side boards, box frames, window and door trim moldings before I put down a 100% acrylic resin paint. But atleased the grime from the pervious owners is gone...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home