Tuesday, February 20, 2007

An offer I can't refuse?

A local community college has approached me in considering my house for one of their student projects for this Spring quarter.

Last week I found a business card attached to the mail box from the director of the Wood Construction Center, a unit of the local community college. A brief phone call today delivered some details:
  • My house is conveniently close to the center, making it opportune to run the class. (Last year they build an on-site house, eating up the rest of their space, which has yet to be moved.)
  • I would be responsible for all materials, as well as possibly setting up credit at one of the home stores, for materials.
  • A team of 6 students and 1 instructor would be on site, performing the work to desired specs.
  • In the end, they would have another feather in their cap to show off, which will help bring in more students, funding and other such positives.
  • And I would have a huge jump start on the house restoration.
But there are still a few unanswered question, such as liability (from accidents and such), the quality of work (since I plan on following the National Historic Preservation specs), to just name a few. They've asked me to submit a list of items I'd like for them to work on (basically an informal work order) and we'd meet at the house site to go over details with the director and involved instructors.

Any feed back from the House Restoration blogosphere would be greatly welcomed: any knowledge of similar projects and their eventual out come, to any other neglected concerns that should be highlighted?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Mother of Maude do I wish I had this opportunity!! Alas, the community college where I teach, which is only a mile away from my home, doesn't offer a carpentry or woodworking program.

It sounds as if you're thinking of the right things in terms of what to bring up: Liability would be a big issue for me as well. In terms of quality, I'd get them to agree to several inspection points throughout the process, many more than you would require from a professional crew. I'd even be sure to define, at least as well as possible, what you mean by "quality" - for example, what degree off from completely flat-square-level-plumb-fit are you willing to accept?

If you do this, I'll be definitely looking forward to seeing both the work in progress and the results!

5:12 PM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Greg said...

Sounds like a neat opportunity. I wonder if you can tour the on-site house they did to get an idea of the work they do. Also, maybe limit them to one room, so if they do not do great work it won't be in several rooms.

What about having them do something you really don't want to do. Old wood window restoration comes to mind.

6:21 PM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Lietta Ruger said...

Sounds like an opportunity. I'd recommend having the meeting and exploring your concerns. Since it's SCC, and in your neighborhood, and part of promotion for the college, it seems unlikely they wouldn't want to do top quality work, even if it is a 'supervised' learning experience for the students.

Seems you would have some peace of mind knowing the work would not be shoddy. Surely they wouldn't want to showcase shoddy work. Go for it! And you can help them to understand Historical Preservation specs, if they don't already.

8:12 AM, February 23, 2007  
Blogger bruno said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:30 PM, February 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home